While most lawn pests are harmless and actually beneficial, there are some that can be extremely damaging if not controlled. In Texas, there are four key pests to look out for and control: armyworms, cinch bugs, fire ants and grubs. Since harsh chemicals can cause a serious imbalance within the environment of your landscape, it’s important to be certain that you are certain insect damage is what you have before you treat.
Symptoms of Insect Damage
Symptoms vary based on the type of pest, but some common things to look for are:
- Sticky substance on leaves
- Irregular sections of brown turf that detach from the soil without effort
- Wilted plants or plants that have been completely eaten
- Coppery-colored areas resembling a sunscald injury
- Patches of dead or stunted grass, surrounded by a halo of yellowing grass
Pest damage is not always visible, but in most cases, keeping an eye out for these symptoms can nip it before it becomes severe.
How to Manage
Often times, keeping up with basic lawn care can keep most pests at bay. Some quick tips to avoid pests in your lawn are:
- Mow regularly and properly
- Use native plants, which are more resistant to pests, when possible
- Stick with natural or organic fertilizers, which will encourage natural predators to take care of the harmful insects
- Keep your lawn irrigated, with at least one inch of water per week
- Monitor your lawn frequently in order to nip infestations early on
There are times however, when even the best-kept lawns fall victim to pests. This is when professional help may become necessary.
Our pest control services can make your home a healthier and happier place. We specialize in the inspection, prevention and treatment of pests that can invade your lawn. Some main pests our services can help control include ants, millipedes, centipedes, earwigs, crickets, grubs, cinch bugs, armyworms, fleas, ticks, chiggers and spiders. With our treatments, your mind can be at ease that your family, pets and property are safer. Call today for scheduling and pricing.